Landen Hoffman, of Woodbury, is the “sweetest kindest” 5-year-old boy you’ll ever meet. Tragically, about four months ago on April 12, he was randomly hauled off the third floor balcony of the Mall of America by a malicious stranger. The boy miraculously survived the nearly 40-foot fall, and on Friday, his family announced a piece of good news.
Noah Hanneman, a family friend, updated: “The Lord is good, and we are thankful. We are happy to report that our son is no longer in intensive care and has been moved to an inpatient, physical rehab program at another hospital to help him continue to heal and focus on the next phase of his recovery.”
“There is hard work ahead!” he continued.
Hanneman shared the terrifying ordeal didn’t dampen Landen’s lively spirit.
“And, our beautiful boy has endured much already, but he is strong and his spirit remains vibrant. We continue to be eternally grateful for every prayer, every act of kindness and the love this world has show us throughout this journey. Thank You,” he wrote.
This positive news came after Landen spent over three months recuperating in intensive care at Children’s Minnesota as a result of the heinous act of violence committed by a total stranger named Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda, 24.
Aranda told authorities he was “looking for someone to kill” at the mall because he had been repeatedly rejected by women. He was later sentenced to 19 years in prison for attempted premeditated first-degree murder.
Hanneman wrote: “This is Landen, he is the sweetest kindest 5 year old you will ever meet. His soul is soft and gentle and instantly brings a smile to everybody he meets. He is full of energy and life and enjoys soccer, playing with friends and family and playing hockey with his brother and sister.”
“He suffered life threatening injuries, many people who fall from that distance aren’t as lucky to make it,” he added.
Days after the tragedy on April 20, Hanneman shared: “Our miracle child Landen is showing real signs or recovery.”
In another update in late June, Hanneman said Landen underwent 15 medical procedures or surgeries, including treatment for his broken arms and leg, fluid in his lungs and stomach, and his facial and skull fractures. His spleen was also removed and a stent had been placed in a vein running through his liver due to “the serious complications he continues to endure.”
In spite of the great suffering the attacker, Aranda, has caused Landen, his family has chosen to forgive him.
As per the family’s impact statement posted on GoFundMe, Landen’s mother said: “I want you to know I forgive you, not because what you did was okay, not because I want to but because God wants me to.”
“I do want you to know that I forgive you, because it is what God calls me to do and holding hate only harms me and I will not allow that,” the father concurred.
Hanneman and Landen’s family are unsure when the boy will be able to go home. However, undoubtedly, they remain positive and hopeful with the public support and faith in God.
“Throughout, your support has lifted each of us and reminded us of the power of God’s love,” Hanneman wrote.
The fundraising campaign has raised more than $1 million in donations from over 29,000 people. We wish Landen a speedy recovery. May the vibrant boy get back to his regular childhood life soon.