A federal judge has struck down an Arkansas law that required social media platforms to verify the ages of Arkansas residents using the platforms.
The state’s Social Media Safety Act unconstitutionally burdens both minors and their parents by requiring documentation of parental consent for minors to access the websites, U.S. District Judge Timothy Brooks said in the March 31 ruling.
States can implement laws regulating speech of conduct but must show they’re narrowly tailored to achieve a compelling state interest.
While unrestrained access to social media does harm minors, the Arkansas law “is not narrowly tailored to address the harms that the State has a compelling interest in preventing,” the judge said in his ruling.
The law had been set to take effect in September 2023 but has been blocked since August 2023 under a preliminary injunction issued by Brooks. The law was set to apply to social media platforms that generate at least $100 million annually, so some platforms such as Truth Social would not have been affected.
The new ruling is summary judgement in favor of NetChoice, a trade group that represents the technology industry. Members include Meta, Facebook’s parent company.
NetChoice had argued that the law unconstitutionally burdened the First Amendment activity of minors, adults, and the social media firms.
Arkansas Attorney General Tim Griffin had said the law should not be struck down.
“I respect the court’s decision, and we are evaluating our options,” Griffin said in an emailed statement to The Epoch Times.