Ottawa Warns Canadian Travellers of Potential ‘Scrutiny’ at US Border

Ottawa Warns Canadian Travellers of Potential ‘Scrutiny’ at US Border
Vehicles drive across the Peace Bridge between the United States and Canada, in Buffalo, N.Y., on Feb. 27, 2025. AP Photo/Lauren Petracca
Chandra Philip
Updated:
0:00

Ottawa is advising Canadians to expect scrutiny at U.S. border crossings, advising travellers to comply with border agents and warning of the possibility of being detained by authorities, and having their cellphones searched.

The government’s travel website was updated on April 4 to include advice for travellers heading south, saying border agents have “significant discretion” about who gets into the country.

“Expect scrutiny at ports of entry, including of electronic devices,” the travel advisory says.
U.S. border agents are permitted to search electronic devices, like mobile phones, according to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.

“CBP officers may search a traveler’s mobile phone, computer, camera, or other electronic devices during the inspection process,” the website says. The number of travellers that have their devices searched was 0.1 percent in 2024, CBP said.

Canadian travellers are advised by Ottawa to “comply” and to be “forthcoming in all interactions” with border agents.

“If you are denied entry, you could be detained while awaiting deportation.”

The government has also added a note that those staying in the United States for longer than 30 days will need to register.

The requirement, announced on March 14, states that Canadians over the age of 14 must register if they will be in the United States for over 30 days. It also requires travellers to submit biometric data, including fingerprints.

“Failure to comply with the registration requirement could result in penalties, fines, and misdemeanor prosecution,” the travel advisory says.

The travel update comes as the Trump administration has been focusing on tightening the borders, especially in relation to the flow of illegal immigrants and drugs.

Some Canadian travellers have responded by avoiding trips to the United States, according to numbers from Statistics Canada. The agency said last month that the number of Canadians taking trips south of the border country has dropped.

In February, the number of Canadians driving to the United States dropped by 23 percent from the same time last year, according to StatCan. It was the second year-over-year decline since March 2021.

Return trips by air dropped by 2.4 percent from the same month in 2024, StatCan said.

The Flight Centre travel agency said leisure bookings to the United States dropped 40 percent in February compared to the same time in 2024. It also said that one in five customers have cancelled their U.S. trips over the past three months.

The Canadian Press contributed to this report.