Labor Promises Over $38 Million for Road Upgrades in Melbourne Ahead of Election

Melbourne’s troubled roads will see $38.5 million in upgrades through a partnership of the federal and state governments.
Labor Promises Over $38 Million for Road Upgrades in Melbourne Ahead of Election
Prime Minister of Australia, Anthony Albanese addresses the media at Parliament House in Canberra, Australia on March 28, 2025. Hilary Wardhaugh/Getty Images
Naziya Alvi Rahman
Updated:
0:00

With the federal election fast approaching, the Albanese Labor government is ramping up infrastructure commitments, announcing three additional projects under its $1.2 billion (US$754 million) Road Blitz initiative.

The new upgrades announced on April 1, aim to ease congestion, improve road safety, and support Melbourne’s rapidly growing suburbs.

In collaboration with the Victorian Labor government, three projects will receive a combined $38.5 million to address some of Melbourne’s most problematic roads.

The largest allocation, $25 million, will go towards planning and development at the Five-Ways intersection in Warrandyte South.

Government estimates suggest that this upgrade will significantly ease congestion and enhance safety for the 8,000 vehicles navigating the intersection daily, which has recorded five crashes between 2020 and 2024.

Further south, $10 million has been allocated for planning improvements at the High Street Road and Mowbray Drive intersection in Wantirna South.

A key component of the funding will be dedicated to the early development of a new signalised T-intersection, improving safety for vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists while enhancing connectivity to the Blind Creek Trail.

In Croydon North, $3.5 million will be used to develop a business case for upgrading the Maroondah Highway and Yarra Road intersection.

With five schools in the surrounding area, Yarra Road often experiences significant congestion during school drop-off and pick-up hours.

The project aims to identify solutions to improve traffic flow, increase safety, and enhance pedestrian accessibility, particularly on Kent Avenue.

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Catherine King said the initiative was designed to deliver long-overdue improvements to Victorian roads.

“We’re giving Victorians the infrastructure they deserve after being short-changed by the former Coalition government,” she stated.

Melbourne: Key Battleground in Election

On April 1, Dutton announced that a Coalition government would prioritise the Melbourne Airport Rail Link if elected in May.

This commitment will come at the expense of $2.2 billion in federal funding previously earmarked for Victoria’s Suburban Rail Loop.

Dutton stressed the importance of Melbourne in shaping the election outcome, describing the city as a crucial battleground.

“I think there are more seats at play in Melbourne and, you know, right across Victoria, to be honest, than probably any other state,” he told ABC Radio Melbourne. “I think it will be decisive on election night.”

Of the state’s 38 House of Representatives seats, Labor currently controls 24 and the Coalition 11.

However, recent electoral boundary changes and growing voter frustration with the state Labor government could reshape the political landscape.

Naziya Alvi Rahman
Naziya Alvi Rahman
Author
Naziya Alvi Rahman is a Canberra-based journalist who covers political issues in Australia. She can be reached at [email protected].