Halifax Man Faces New Charge After Allegedly Threatening To Bomb US Consulate

Ali Assakereh, 54, of Halifax has been charged with threatening the life of an internationally protected person.
Halifax Man Faces New Charge After Allegedly Threatening To Bomb US Consulate
Police direct people asked to evacuate at the intersection of Barrington Street and Duke Street, in downtown Halifax, on Aug. 10, 2026. The Canadian Press/Devin Stevens
|Updated:
0:00

Federal prosecutors have laid a new charge against the Halifax man accused of making a bomb threat against the United States Consulate in the city earlier this month.

A Crown lawyer confirmed in court on Aug. 18 that federal prosecutors had charged Ali Assakereh, 54, of Halifax, with threatening an internationally protected person.

The charge is under the Criminal Code provision covering threats involving internationally protected persons and their official premises.

Halifax Regional Police initially charged Assakereh with uttering threats and public mischief on Aug. 11 after a bomb threat against the consulate on Aug. 9 led to the closure of a large section of downtown Halifax the following morning.

During their investigation, police say they found the suspect’s vehicle in a parkade near the consulate, containing a propane tank and containers believed to hold flammable liquids. A suspicious bag was also found nearby.

“The Halifax Regional Police Explosive Disposal Unit responded and police began evacuating several streets in the downtown core until the vehicle and its contents could be safely approached and inspected,” the agency said at the time.

About an hour later, after its first announcement around 9 a.m., Halifax Regional Police issued another statement, saying its evacuation order had been expanded to include two office towers and several nearby buildings and streets.

The agency issued an emergency alert at 10:30 a.m. confirming that the bomb threat and the discovery of the suspicious vehicle prompted the closure of nearby streets and evacuation of the parkade. Police reopened the streets at 2 p.m. after confirming that the vehicle and its contents were not a risk to the public.

Meanwhile, police located and arrested Assakereh at about 8:35 a.m. on Aug. 10. He remains in custody and was scheduled to appear in Halifax Provincial Court on Aug. 19.

Toronto Incidents

The U.S. Consulate in Toronto has also been targeted in two separate shootings in recent months.

On July 27, a Toronto police officer stationed near the consulate heard gunfire at about 4:46 a.m. and saw a white Honda Accord with no licence plates flee the area.

Police later arrested a 19-year-old man and a 15-year-old boy in connection with the shooting. The two face a combined 32 charges, including multiple allegations of failing to comply with court-ordered release conditions. Police also linked the pair to an alleged vehicle arson in Caledon.

Toronto police also arrested an 18-year-old and a 19-year-old in June in connection with a March 10 shooting outside the U.S. Consulate. Police said two suspects allegedly fired multiple shots at the building before fleeing in a stolen vehicle. No one was injured.

The Canadian Press contributed to this report.