Carney said U.S. President Donald Trump’s latest announcement “preserved a number of important elements of our relationship,” but he took issue with the other tariffs remaining in place. He said Canada is retaliating with its own tariffs.
“The series of measures will directly affect millions of Canadians. We are going to fight these tariffs with countermeasures. We are going to protect our workers, and we are going to build the strongest economy in the G7,” Carney told reporters in Ottawa on April 2.
Carney said he plans to meet with the premiers on April 3 and would “have more to say” following the meetings.
The prime minister also said Trump plans to impose additional tariffs related to “so-called strategic sectors” in the United States, such as pharmaceuticals, lumber, and semiconductors. “So we’re in a situation where there is going to be an impact on the U.S. economy, which will build with time ... but the series of measures will directly affect millions of Canadians,” he said.
Carney added that the global reciprocal tariffs will “fundamentally change the international trading system.”
Trump has said the reciprocal tariffs are in response to similar measures put on the United States by other countries.
The reciprocal tariffs on other countries include 34 percent on China, 26 percent on India, 24 percent on Japan, 20 percent on the European Union, and 10 percent on the United Kingdom and Australia. The White House said these tariffs are equal to or lower than the tariffs those countries impose on the United States, including through “currency manipulation and trade barriers.”
The White House said that if the fentanyl and illegal migration issues are resolved, Canada would default to the new reciprocal tariff regime where USMCA goods would continue to have “preferential treatment” and other goods would have a 12 percent reciprocal tariff.
While speaking at a rally in Kingston, Ont., Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said the incoming auto tariffs are “an unfair attack” on Canada’s economy.
“For decades, workers on both sides of the border locked arms to build the greatest auto sector in the world. The president is betraying America’s closest friend and attacking our economy,” he said.
Premiers Respond
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith called the new announcement by the White House an “important win for Canada and Alberta,” noting that the United States has decided to “uphold the majority of the free trade agreement [USMCA]. ”Smith said Ottawa and the premiers should shift their focus toward “removing or significantly reducing” the remaining tariffs, and called on all “our national advocacy efforts to focus on diplomacy and persuasion” and to avoid “unnecessary escalation.”
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe said he remains “concerned about the previously announced tariffs on Canadian steel and lumber,” and that his government will continue to engage with Americans to remove the tariffs.
Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston noted that Canada wasn’t “hit with the worst-case scenario in terms of tariffs” but “thousands of Nova Scotians will be impacted” by the remaining tariffs.
He added that the province’s retaliatory measures, which are non-tariff in nature, remain in place.
“This means we will continue to look for ways to put Nova Scotia and Canadian companies first as we review and cancel non-essential contracts with U.S. suppliers,” he said. “The increased tolls at the Cobequid Pass for commercial vehicles from the U.S. will remain. American alcohol will remain off the shelves of the Nova Scotia Liquor Corp. stores.”