U.S. President Donald Trump unveiled his long-promised plan seeking to rebalance global trade with reciprocal U.S. tariffs on April 2, but didn’t impose new tariffs on Canada and Mexico.
A senior White House official said the initial 10 percent tariff on energy imports from Canada along with the broad 25 percent tariff on goods from Canada and Mexico in relation to illegal migration and fentanyl trafficking will remain in place unchanged. The current exemptions for goods covered by the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) free trade deal, implemented on March 6, also remain.
“At this time, Canada and Mexico, they continue to be subject to the national emergency related to fentanyl and migration, and that tariff regime will persist while those conditions persist, and they will be subject to that regime, and not the new regimes,” said the official while speaking to reporters before Trump’s announcement.
The official added that if the fentanyl and migration issues are resolved, Canada would default to the new reciprocal tariff regime where USMCA goods would continue to have “preferential treatment” and other goods would have a 12 percent reciprocal tariff.
The reciprocal tariffs for other countries include 34 percent on China, 26 percent on India, 24 percent on Japan, 20 percent on the European Union, and 10 percent on the United Kingdom and Australia. The White House said these tariffs are equal to or lower than the tariffs those countries impose on the United States, including “currency manipulation and trade barriers.”
Trump singled out Canada specifically for its supply management system, saying the country imposes tariffs as high as 300 percent for its dairy products. “When you look a little bit, it’s not a pretty picture, and we don’t like it. It’s not fair to our farmers. It’s not fair to our country,” Trump said.
Existing Tariffs
The first round of U.S. tariffs placed on Canada and Mexico, related to border concerns, was first imposed in early February and put on a one-month pause shortly afterwards. Canada had introduced several measures in an attempt to avoid those tariffs, including a committing $1.3 billion in investments on border security and listing drug cartels as terrorist entities, while Mexico deployed 10,000 soldiers to its border.The White House said in February that it had “leveraged tariffs to force Canada and Mexico to make long-overdue changes at our northern and southern borders, ensuring the safety and security of American citizens.”
In mid-March, Trump imposed universal 25 tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum. Canada had retaliated when faced with similar tariffs in 2018 and 2019. That earlier trade dispute was settled after an agreement was reached to crack down on dumping and transshipment by other countries.
Canada has so far responded by imposing tariffs worth approximately $60 billion in U.S. goods.
The leaders of both main federal parties in Canada support retaliatory measures against the United States and have also signalled their intention to open broader free trade negotiations after the upcoming federal election.
After speaking with Trump on March 28, Prime Minister Mark Carney said that it was a “very constructive discussion” and that the two “agreed to begin comprehensive negotiations about a new economic and security relationship between our two sovereign countries” following the election.
Meanwhile, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said in an April 2 speech that he would propose to start early renegotiations with Trump to replace the USMCA on “day one” if he becomes prime minister. He said the trade agreement must be renegotiated in 2026, “so why not get it done fast.”