Los Angeles County officials announced Friday a tentative $4 billion agreement to settle approximately 6,800 claims of sexual abuse in juvenile facilities dating back to 1959, marking the largest settlement of its kind in U.S. history.
The proposed settlement, which requires approval from both the LA County Claims Board and the Board of Supervisors, surpasses a record $2.6 billion payout made by the Boy Scouts of America in 2022.
“On behalf of the County, I apologize wholeheartedly to everyone who was harmed by these reprehensible acts,” said County Chief Executive Officer Fesia Davenport in a statement released Friday.
The claims became possible through California legislation that took effect in 2020, temporarily suspending the statute of limitations for childhood sexual abuse victims for a three-year period.
Court documents filed by plaintiffs describe disturbing conditions at MacLaren, including children being placed in solitary confinement, drugged, and restrained in chairs. One plaintiff reported being sexually abused by a physician at age 8, while another described being assaulted by a staff member in a bathroom when he was only 5 years old.
Settlement Funding
The settlement comes at a challenging financial time for the nation’s most populous county, which faces potential federal funding cuts and ongoing expenses related to January’s wildfires and homelessness initiatives.County officials plan to finance the settlement through reserve funds, judgment obligation bonds, and departmental budget cuts, with payments extending through fiscal year 2050-2051, the county said.
If approved, an independent team will determine individual awards for claimants. The Claims Board will consider the proposal on April 7, with the Board of Supervisors scheduled to review it on April 29.
The settlement includes several reform measures, such as creating a countywide hotline for reporting child sexual abuse allegations against county employees and developing an expedited investigation system.
“By balancing justice for the victims with a commitment to reform, this resolution ensures both acknowledgment of past wrongs and a pathway to a safer, more accountable future,” said Patrick McNicholas, another attorney representing plaintiffs.
The $4 billion settlement represents the latest in a series of major payouts related to institutional sexual abuse. In addition to the Boy Scouts settlement, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles agreed last year to pay $800 million to victims of clergy sexual abuse, bringing its total payout to more than $1.5 billion.
‘Gladiator Fights’
This settlement emerges amid ongoing scrutiny of Los Angeles County’s juvenile facilities. In a separate case, 30 probation officers were charged in March with multiple offenses, including child abuse and endangerment, following an investigation into “youth-on-youth violence” at Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall in Downey, as reported by City News Service.According to California Attorney General Rob Bonta, those officers allegedly facilitated “gladiator fights” among detainees between July and December 2023. The investigation began after surveillance footage showed officers standing by as young detainees fought one another.
“The officers look more like referees at a prize fight,” Bonta said during a March news conference. “They don’t step in or intervene or protect their charges. ... This was not an isolated incident.”
Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall has faced operational challenges since reopening in 2023 to house detainees relocated from other facilities that the state ordered closed. Despite being deemed unsuitable by the Board of State and Community Corrections in October 2024, the county has continued operating the facility without any viable alternatives.