The departments of Education and Justice announced on April 4 the formation of a “Title IX Special Investigations Team” to address a “staggering” backlog of sex-based discrimination complaints in education, with a particular focus on cases involving women’s athletics and gender identity policies.
According to officials, the newly formed team, which includes attorneys and investigators from both departments, is designed to expedite complaint resolutions through a rapid resolution process while aligning investigations more directly with DOJ enforcement protocols.
McMahon said the Office for Civil Rights has historically taken “months” or “even years” to complete investigations.
“To all the entities that continue to allow men to compete in women’s sports and use women’s intimate facilities: there’s a new sheriff in town,” she said. “We will not allow you to get away with denying women’s civil rights any longer.”
Attorney General Pamela Bondi said the joint effort is meant to ensure that violations involving women’s sports and single-sex spaces are met with full federal enforcement.
“Protecting women and women’s sports is a key priority for this Department of Justice,” Bondi said. “This collaborative effort with the Department of Education will enable our attorneys to take comprehensive action when women’s sports or spaces are threatened and use the full power of the law to remedy any violation of women’s civil rights.”
The announcement follows two executive orders issued earlier this year by President Donald Trump.
The creation of the SIT comes amid a backlog of Title IX complaints, many of which, according to advocacy groups such as Parents Defending Education, involve gender identity issues such as the participation of transgender students in girls’ sports and access to bathrooms and locker rooms. That advocacy group praised the launch of the team.
“The Department of Education’s creation of a Title IX Special Investigations Team is extremely welcome news,” Nicole Neily, founder and president of the group, said in a statement. “The last administration not only distorted Title IX’s original intent by broadening the meaning of sex discrimination to include gender identity, but they also failed to address the massive backlog of complaints in this area (including on issues like compelled pronoun usage, the participation of boys in girls’ sports, and the privacy of women-only spaces like locker rooms and bathrooms).”
According to the Department of Education, the SIT will include staff from the Office for Civil Rights, the Office of General Counsel, and the Student Privacy and Protection Office, in addition to DOJ civil rights attorneys. Officials said the team’s work will help restore consistency in enforcement and support what the administration describes as a sex-based interpretation of Title IX.